Sunday, December 20, 2015

December 20 - In Retrospect

I went to a birthday party the other day for a friend. At said party, another attendee brought up the possibility of exchanging our favorite books as Christmas presents. I thought to myself, I don't want to give up Inkheart and I don't really want to buy a new copy. (I also thought to myself, I don't really know this person that well, so idk if I even want to do a book swap with her. o3o)

However, I came home, went through my bookshelf, and found a book that I do like, but I would not mind giving up - Sleeping freshmen never lie, by David Lubar.

It's a book about a boy going into his freshman year of high school. I got it a long time ago, back when I was obsessed about high school. (This was after I was obsessed about middle school, haha.)

The book was published in 2005, a decade ago. (Wow.) You can tell. It's not super obvious, but there are some points.

For example, the speaker is addressing his unborn sibling, and he writes this - "You're gonna pay. Somehow. Maybe I can rent you out to a lab or something. Or auction off your stem cells" (165).

What with the whole StemExpress and abortion whatnots this past year and/or summer, I kind of blanched when I read that line. I don't believe the author is advocating for abortion though.

How can we even begin to understand or anticipate the future? Egads/no huzzahs/etc. (Absolutely NO gift horses. :C)

(Also, I considered giving her not a fan by Kyle Idleman, but I consulted Suzanne about that, and she suggested cultivating a deeper relationship with this person before doing something like that [religious/Christian]. Hence, sleeping freshmen.)

No comments:

Post a Comment