Thursday, September 23, 2010

Whatnot

Right now I am trying to figure out a new thesis for my research paper. I've been at it for... half an hour? More? I'm having difficulty finding a subject that has an argument around it and if I do think of something, I can't find any research about it. Can I do a research paper using sources that do not specifically talk about my topic but a topic very much closely related? I am not sure.

Really quickly, one my Senior Project proposal form, the title was "Chaos in Your Soul." That is not what I plan to title my book (though it is nifty); this phrase is from a quote by Friedrich Nietzsche. He said, "You need chaos in your soul to give birth to a dancing star." I sure hope he's right. By the time this project is over, I might have a galaxy. Anyway, this connects to the main character's Elemental Classification and my viewpoint on life in general. That's why I titled my project that.

Side note - Is it okay to address a topic that is controversial in Oakbrook? Could I do a paper advocating gay marriage or abortion? I'm not going to, I am merely curious.

Right now I have thirteen tabs up on Firefox and they all have to do with my project. Nyah.

Let's see, now it's been an hour and a half thinking of a thesis. And counting...

3 comments:

  1. People are writing about abortion. in fact, she got an A. It's your paper. They can't fail you if they don't agree with the topic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Several thoughts: 1) Love the Nietzche quote.
    2) Your thesis must relate to your project. I think you were on track with addiction to power.
    3) You can write about a controversial topic, but gay marriage and abortion are not related to your project. If you are interested in pursuing these, you may have an opportunity in your English class. 4) Look at Warren Wilson College in Black Mountain, NC - highly creative environment. 5) Do you have back to back free periods any day? I'd like to go out for coffee.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are getting good feedback Jen- so I won't wax "eloquent" here ( even if I could!) Suffice it to say I think you are gettin some good think time in!!

    ReplyDelete