Tuesday, September 7, 2010

R-R-Rewind

You know all that stuff I said earlier? Disregard it. All of it.

I realized I'm not really passionate about writing a nonfiction high school book. I think I was fooling myself into thinking that...
So now I am going back to my original, original idea. I am writing a fantasy novel. I actually mentioned it in my very first post - "Starburst" is its working title though I am going to change it because apparently the term is trademarked.

This novel is set in a fantasy world where people have the abilities of the four elements, but expanded. Instead of just air, water, fire, earth, people can have specific abilities (like Air vs Gust) or something beyond those four (like Light or Spark). The main character Pasin is a freak in this world (Falleon) because she does not have any Elemental ability. She's an orphan as well, and is rejected at every turn. However, one fateful day in the marketplace (yes I know it sounds cliche) Pasin reaches the boiling point. A flash of light and heat, and then a descent into mental darkness.
When Pasin wakes up, she is being tried for disturbing the peace and attempted assault by use of a power she doesn't recognize. Somehow, she finds herself at the palace as one of the ladies of the court, vying for the attention of King Oramus. But Oramus has secrets of his own and intrigues run deeper than Pasin realizes.

Wow. It sounds so cliche. I don't want to give what happens away, but I want you to understand what's going on so... impasse.

Oh and huzzah huzzah! I have found a mentor! Dr. Edna Ellison who has nine books for sale on Amazon and helped tremendously with a scholarship I did last year. Huzzah huzzah that is a massive load off my mind.

So now the research paper. Originally, I was going to do it about whether homework is helpful or hindering students, but now I'm not sure that fits. I was thinking about writing something about addiction - not drugs or tobaccos, but either process addiction (gambling, shopping) or psychological (addiction to power). I'm not sure how to make a paper out of that and I kind of need to go to Government. So ciao.

2 comments:

  1. Dude, you are SO sending me that story once you're done. You have a gift, and I love reading your stuff.
    Also, I think those addiction themes for a paper are an awesome idea. You should do one that people don't really think of as an addiction (like the power one, that's really good), so it'll be REAL educational instead of just more facts about a subject that everyone knows about. You know what I mean?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad you have come around to a project you are truly passionate about! To find a topic re. addiction you will need to so some serious research. Find out if the addiction is acknowledged- maybe that is where the controversy is- or maybe it is in the treatment of the addiction- or maybe whether such an addiction is curable or not. You will find it I am sure!

    ReplyDelete