Thursday, August 26, 2010

Clarification

This entry is to serve as clarification for my project idea.

My plan is to write a book about high school that is geared toward current middle school students. I want to present informative, helpful information in an interesting and engaging way so that the reader is both entertained and informed. Chapters would cover such subjects as choosing classes, studying, note-taking, everyday activities, and extracurriculars.

My goal by the end of the year is to have a rough draft or manuscript of the book, but not the format of the book completed. Depending on how much time I have left over, I might begin working with formatting, but that is not the main goal.

I plan on interviewing a variety of people to include in the book, including teacher, administration, and admission officers from local colleges. I also want to get interviews from students of different schooling, like public school, homeschool, or even the Governor's School. I might try to shadow a student at a public school one day for a change in perspective.

I'm still not sure about my mentor, I need to contact someone by phone (which I am not looking forward to), but I realize that is fairly important. I also need to think of a research paper topic. Yes, I need to get back to work now.

3 comments:

  1. Jennifer, I like the direction this is taking. Are you thinking of an author of nonfiction as a mentor? I understand your squeamishness regarding picking up that impossibly heavy instrument, the telephone.

    How about a research paper on publishing? The topic needs to be narrowed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You could consider putting some of your writing for your book on your blog- like maybe a collection of works- or pages on a topic regarding high school.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I miss you!! :(

    Hey, you need a public school student to shadow? Come to Arizona and shadow me!!! :)

    ReplyDelete